Thursday, May 20, 2010

Using PHP include command

My website is slowly growing. As I add more and more content the page count goes up. I am using Dreamweaver to maintin my site and it does a wonderful job, but, however. . . As the man says it was beginning to be a real pain to wait for it to upload the 100 something pages that are now in my site. The solution? The Include command.

The include command is sued to "bring in" another document. If you open up my site www.samuelraileyefurd.com and look at the right hand side you will see a menu of sorts. When I add content I generally have to update the menu. Now thankfully I don't have to update each page individually, thanks to templates, but I did have to wait for the update and upload to occur to make sure that I hadn't broken something. That was what was taking so much time. That sidebar is not actually part of the page that you are looking at. It is a separate document that I can update and then will become part of each page as you the browser request it.

The icons on the bottom of my header are graphical representations and links to all of the sites that I "belong" to and attempt to interact with. Somewhat successfully sometimes.

Anyhow that's the latest.
Samuel Efurd

No comments:

Post a Comment