Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day or to my Mother, Marthe Efurd, the Saint

OK I know that this is late and God knows that I do not have the gift of the muse, but I read Kelly's repost about his mother and I decided I had to say something.

My mother is a SAINT. I want to thank her for standing by me and supporting me through my trials and tribulations. I want her to understand that even though I can be self-centered, I understand how difficult I can be to be around. However, this post is not about me. It is about Mom. My mother who is one of the strongest people I know. She is also like the willow that bends before the wind. She is capable of switching between the two in ways that I will never understand.

She has the ability to turn common household ingredients into art. One of these days I will talk her into letting me host her collection of pictures of the cakes and candies that she has made. She is self taught, and in the midst of taking care of all of us managed to create marvels in the kitchen. I can remember one from back in the 70s where she made a cake in the image of a bull. Standing on all four legs. You know like you had modeled it out of clay, except it was iced and edible. There were the innumerable wedding cakes that she has made over the years everyone different, and everyone of them giving a little piece of herself. The Eagle Scout cakes that she made for my brother, all of my cousins, and me. Each rank badge eight inches high, and perfectly detailed. The groom's cake for Loggerhead, a Lieutenant with the Jackson County Sheriff's office, that had the star on it covered in gold leaf. I love my Mother's artistic skills, but that is not what makes her special.

The thing that I admire the most about my Mother is her ability to make each and every person she meets feel special. She is the type of person that brings a smile to your face. Everyone just enjoys being around her. I suppose that is because she is always smiling. Always. I don't know how she does it, and when she tries to explain it always comes down to her Faith. See my Mother has Faith in the Lord. Faith with a capital F. Always has and always will.

And there my limited gifts fail me. I know that there is much more to write, but I am at a loss as to how to get the words on paper, as it were.

I LOVE you Mom. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment